Monday, July 27, 2009

Fun, interesting, fascinating, sad and frustrating - perhaps. Most Likely You Go Your Way and I'll Go Mine gets Reading Frenzy'd. And likes it. A lot.

We are really thrilled to have received a quite kind review of Most Likely You Go Your Way and I'll Go Mine from LuAnn and the fine folks at Reading Frenzy. We also answered some questions for them and while we are not entirely sure if the review or interview will change your life, we are definitely sure that they changed ours. Thanks again to LuAnn for the interest and for brief excerpts of both feel free to read more below. Yeah, like right below.

Review:

"This really was an enjoyable read. In fact, I had it done in one day because I just couldn't put it down until I found out what was going to happen to these kids."

Interview:

Who has influenced you the most in your writing career?

"This is a tricky and great question. On the one hand, I need to say, Jim Carroll who wrote “The Basketball Diaries,” among other books, because after I read it for the first time, I really felt like I had experienced how writing can transport people somewhere other than where they are and I wanted to be able to do that. I would also say Don DeGrazia, who is the author of “American Skin” because after seeing him read “American Skin” and then reading the book, I really believed for the first time that writing a novel was possible. And then there is Lynda Barry, mainly because I have a big crush on her, but also because I once heard her say she doesn’t plan what she writes, she just writes whatever she’s feeling that day, which I love, and because someday, I want to write a book like “Cruddy,” which I also love. A lot.

I also need to mention the influence of the Ramones and punk music in general, keep it short and slamming, no fat; Bruce Springsteen, tell stories that are sparse and evocative; David Cronenberg, because of the way he described creating a “History of Violence,” particularly the violence itself, fast, intimate and up close, which is how I like to think people interact in relationships; and finally, the Beastie Boys, try to be smart, try to be interesting and don’t forget the humor."

No comments: